The value of alums of color giving back

I spent some time this weekend at my alma mater Boston College. The purpose of my visit was to serve as an AHANA (African, Hispanic, Asian, Native American) Alumni representative for AHANA prospective weekend. I had some time to think about the value of alums of color giving back to their community and I have come to a few conclusions.

I met with some prospective students this weekend. Seeing them internalize what college, particularly Boston College had to offer brought me back to my college selection journey. What I tried to impart on them, and really what I try to impart on people in general is that it is vital to give back in any way you can to places and people who will value it. One of the reasons that I decided to attend Boston College was because it was clear that alumni of color really cared about reaching out to current and prospective students. There were many reasons why they did this. Some did it because they genuinely enjoyed their time at BC and wanted to see others attend. Some did it because they liked to connect with others. My personal reason for giving back and reaching out to potential Boston College students is because others reached out to help me on my journey.

As a prospective student I had the chance to meet some really great BC students as well as alums. They made making my decision to attend much more easier to make. I always felt that when the time came for me to give back of myself that I owed it to them to return the favor. It was very important for me to make sure that those deciding to attend, and those that were attending my alma mater would be able to have people like myself and others who could make the journey easier.

I believe that valuing diversity is great. But unless you actively go out and make diversity not merely an idea, but something that can be practiced, then you are merely doing lip service to the word. i hope at some point that all alums of color who attend the great colleges in this country reaches out to those coming behind them, and those who came before them. As the saying goes "heavy is the head that wears the crown." We are of a privileged few who can attend college. Why not make it easier for others like us to do the same?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rush Limbaugh: Is he serious right now?

The Audacity of Hope and Black College Football Head Coaches

The importance of reconnecting with friends